We are a company registered in accordance with the company laws of South Africa. Travel Ideas is a bi-monthly magazine published by Travel Ideas Publishing (Pty) Ltd. In addition to our magazine, we offer a platform that helps travelers discover new destinations that they may be interested to travel to, including special deals on offer to get you there. Our website address is: www.travelideas.co.za.
- This is a notice to inform you of our policy about all the information that we record about you. It sets out the conditions under which we may process any information that we collect from you, or that you provide to us. It covers information that could identify you (“personal information”) and information that could not. In the context of the law and this notice, “process” means collect, store, transfer, use or otherwise act on information.
- We regret that if there are one or more points below with which you are not happy, your only recourse is to leave our website immediately.
- We take seriously the protection of your privacy and confidentiality. We understand that all visitors to our website are entitled to know that their personal data will not be used for any purpose unintended by them, and will not accidentally fall into the hands of a third party.
- We undertake to preserve the confidentiality of all information you provide to us and hope that you reciprocate.
- Our policy complies with South African law accordingly implemented, including that required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- The law requires us to tell you about your rights and our obligations to you with regards to the processing and control of your personal data. We do this now, by requesting that you read the information provided at www.knowyourprivacyrights.org.
- Except as set out below, we do not share, or sell, or disclose to a third party, any information collected through our website.
The bases on which we process information about you
- We are required to determine under which bases we process different categories of your personal information, and to notify you of the basis for each category.
- If a basis on which we process your personal information is no longer relevant, then we shall immediately stop processing your data.
- If the basis changes then if required by law we shall notify you of the change and of any new basis under which we have determined that we can continue to process your information.
Information we process because we have a contractual obligation with you
When you buy a product, such as our magazine subscriptions from us, or otherwise agree to terms and conditions, a contract is formed between you and us. In order to carry out our obligation under that contract, we must process the information you give us. Some of this information may be personal information.
We may use it in order to:
- verify your identity for security purposes
- sell products to you
- provide you with our services or products
We process this information on the basis that there is a contract between us, or that you have requested we use the information before we enter into a legal contract. Additionally, we aggregate this information in a general way and use it to provide class information, for example, to monitor our performance with respect to a particular service we provide. If we use it for the purpose, you as an individual will not be personally identifiable.
We shall continue to process this information until the contract between us ends or is terminated by either party under the terms of the contract.
Information we process with your consent
Through certain actions when otherwise there is no contractual relationship between us, such as when you browse our website or ask us to provide you with more information about our business, our travel packages offered by our advertisers, our magazine subscriptions, you provide your consent to us to process information that may be personal information.
Except where you have consented to our use of your information for a specific purpose, we do not use your information in any way that would identify you personally. We may aggregate it in a general way and us it to provide class information, for example, to monitor the performance of a particular page on our website.
If you have given us explicit permission to do so, we may from time to time pass your name and contact information to selected associates whom we consider may provide services or products you would use useful.
We continue to process your information on this basis until you withdraw your consent or it can be reasonably assumed that your consent no longer exists.
You may withdraw your consent at any time by instructing us at email@example.com. However, if you do so, you may not be able to use our website or services further.
Information we process for the purposes of legitimate interests
We may process information on the basis there is a legitimate interest, either to you or to us, of doing so. Where we process your information on this basis, we do after having given careful consideration to:
- whether the same objective could be achieved through other means
- whether processing (or not processing) might cause you harm
- whether you would expect us to process your data, and whether you would, in the round, consider it reasonable to do so.
For example, we may process your data on this basis for the purposes of:
- record-keeping for the proper and necessary administration of our business
- responding to unsolicited communication from you to which we believe you would expect a response
- protecting and asserting the legal rights of any party
- insuring against or obtaining professional advice that is required to manage our business risk
- protecting your interests where we believe we have a duty to do so
Information we process because we have a legal obligation
We are subject to the law like everyone else. Sometimes, we must process your information in order to comply with a statutory obligation. For example, we may be required to give information to legal authorities if they so request or if they have the proper authorization such as a search warrant or court order. This may include your personal information.
Specific uses of information you provide to us
Information provided on the understanding that it will be shared with a third party
Our website allows you to post information with a view to that information being read, copied, downloaded, or used by bother people.
- Sending a message to us via our contact forms, competition entry forms, advertising contact forms, magazine subscription forms and commenting on our blogs
- tagging an image
In posting personal information, it is up to you to satisfy yourself about the privacy level of every person who might use it. We do not specifically use this information except to allow it to be displayed or shared. We do store it, and we reserve the right to use it in the future in any way we decide.
Once your information enters the public domain, we have no control over what any individual third party may do with it. We accept no responsibility for their actions at any time.
Provided your request is reasonable and there is no legal basis for us to retain it, then at our discretion, we may agree to your request to delete personal information that you have posted. You can make a request by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complaints regarding content on our website
Our website is a publishing medium. Anyone may publish information about himself, herself or some other person. We attempt to moderate user-generated content, but we are not always able to do so as soon as that content is published. If you complain about any of the content on our website, we shall investigate your complaint.
If we feel it is justified or if we believe the law requires us to do so, we shall remove the content while we investigate. Free speech is a fundamental right, so we have to make a judgment as to whose right will be obstructed; yours, or that of the person who posted the content that offends you.
If we think your complaint is vexatious or without any basis, we shall not correspond with you about it.
- to track how you use our website
- to record whether you have seen specific messages we display on our website.
- to record your answers to competitions, surveys or questionnaires on our site while you complete them.
If you leave a comment on our website you may opt-in to save your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
Our website uses analytics to record activities such as identifying what traffic is coming to our website, the source of the traffic, what interests an audience has with the content on our website and what type of actions are taking place on our website. This helps us ensure that we develop more content or produce more offers that are in the interest of the audience. The analytics that we use include:
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Pixel; and
- Twitter Pixel
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
If you complete a contact and/or enquiry form of any nature on our website, then we retain your details for as long as it is necessary.
Our contact information
Should you wish to make contact with Travel Ideas to discuss your data and privacy protection, our contact details are as follows:
- Attention: The Manager
- PO Box 2595, Clareinch, Cape Town, 7740
- Tel: +27 (021) 683 4433
- Email: email@example.com
How we protect your data
When purchasing any products online, we protect your data as far as possible by ensuring that we have activated an encryption on our website to protect your personal data, including credit card details. Payments are also facilitated by our payment gateway partner, SagePay, who also take their own safety measures to protect your data.
All other data received via the completion of contact or enquiry forms are held internally and archived and/or deleted, once the data is no longer required.
In the event of an enquiry, such as a travel package enquiry, your data is forwarded to the travel operator who is advertising a particular package deal. When completing the travel package enquiry form, you will also acknowledge that the information that you offer in the enquiry form will be forwarded to the relevant travel operator. Travel Ideas does not take any responsibility for the misuse of your data once they have been passed onto the respective travel operators.
In the event of your subscribing to our email newsletters, your data is stored within our bulk email service provider’s database, namely Mailchimp. You have the option to unsubscribe from our newsletters, at which time your details will be removed from our subscriber lists.